Well, we are still here in this crazy mixed-up world. Covid is proving to be just like Microsoft software; either have it, or you know someone that does. In both cases, the version of what people have varies from person to person.
No matter, In the storytelling world, storytellers and storytelling groups have adapted to being physically separated by connecting on the internet more. Here starts the beginning of me updating my “Connecting Storytellers and Storylisteners” series from the last few years. You don’t have to be a storyteller in the official sense. Anyone can and should take advantage of this and upcoming lists I plan to post. The idea is to give people a starting point to connect with storytellers and the stories they tell.
To start the series, I’ll be listing Facebook groups. The list below varies from ones that just advertise shows, ones that take a deep dive into performing stories, or ones that are just fun places to hear storytelling.
Just to show how many new Facebook groups I have come across, I broke up the list between the ones I knew before the Pandemic, the ones I found after the Pandemic started, and the ones I found just last year. I know now. WOW! Be sure to click on the like and check out the about section to see which groups are the right ones for you. In case you are wondering, yes, I’m a member of all the ones listed below. Go find a place to connect to stories on purpose.
Facebook Storytelling Groups I knew about BEFORE the Pandemic
- DC Storytelling
- VASA (VA Storytelling Alliance)
- Rappahannock Rap
- Northeast(ish) Storytelling
- Oral Storytelling Discussions
- Bethesda Chevy Chase Arts and Entertainment
- National Storytelling Festival
Facebook Storytelling Groups I know about AFTER the Pandemic started
- Virtual Storytelling Shows
- New Jersey Storytelling
- Worldwide Virtual Storytelling Guild
- Artist Standing Strong Together
- Tune In – Story and Sound
- Mid-Atlantic Region of the National Storytelling Network
- Festival at the Edge
- FEST (Federation got European Storytelling)
- Storytelling Bulletin Board
- Co-Creators and Memory-Keepers
- Story Crossroads Discord
- The Society for Storytelling
- GRIT(true stories that matter)
- Silver Spring Town Center Inc.
Facebook Storytelling Groups I learned about in 2021
- The Storytelling Association of California (SAC)
- Flash stories
- Philly Storytelling
- Talking Stories Radio
- School of Storytelling
- Storytelling Workshops
- Debut – a fusion of pla and storytelling
- The Storytelling Challenge